LPVA is required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”) to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) (subject to the other provisions of the Privacy Act). The APPs regulate the manner in which personal information is handled throughout its life cycle, from collection to use and disclosure, storage, accessibility and disposal. LPVA is also required to comply with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) (“Spam Act”).
Purpose of Information we collect
LPVA collects your personal and sensitive information that we believe is reasonably necessary to consider your application for employment and/or facilitate and manage your employment relationship with LPVA.
By providing us with this sensitive information you consent to our use or disclosure of your information for a secondary purpose directly related to the primary purpose. Unless permitted by law, we will not use this information for any other purpose without your consent.
What information we collect
The information we collect includes the information you provide to us:
- in your job application
- any additional verbal information collected by our staff through discussion with you (for example at interview), and
- any information we may need to collect about you from third parties on your behalf (for example referee comments, police checks.).
Access to your information
You may request access to the information we hold about you at any time by contacting our Privacy Officer (details below).
By not collecting this information we may be unable to assess your suitability for employment and unable to facilitate and manage your employment relationship with us.
Disclosure of Information
In order to consider your application for employment and/or facilitate and manage your employment relationship with LPVA we may need to disclose this information to organisations and individuals that carry out functions on behalf of or in conjunction with LPVA. These may include:
- Government agencies and public sector bodies;
- Workers compensation and other insurance providers;
- Recruitment agencies; and
- Individuals or businesses we contact for reference check purposes.
Your consent to collect information
In order to consider your application for employment and/or facilitate and manage your employment relationship with LPVA, you consent to our collecting of sensitive and personal information about you from:
- recruitment agencies;
- law enforcement agencies for criminal checks;
- educational institutions to verify qualifications; and
- from individuals or businesses, we contact for reference check purposes.
Requirements to collect information
The collection of this sensitive and personal information may be required by:
- the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (Cth) and the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (Cth);
- child protection legislation;
- court orders; and/or
- our contractual agreements for particular programs or projects with State and Federal governments.
LPVA is not an international company. However, while every effort is made to keep personal information we hold in Australia only, we may need to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients such as:
- individuals and businesses we contact for reference check purposes; and
- liaising with government agencies and public sector bodies for the purpose of assessing a 457 Visa application (if applicable).
How we store your information
The personal information we collect about you will be stored securely in a recruitment file. Once the recruitment process is complete the information will be treated as follows:
If you are… Successful, and become an employee
Then … An employee file will be created for you and the information will be stored on this file.
If you are… Unsuccessful and are not offered the position
Then … The information will be stored on the recruitment file for 12 months.
Please contact LPVA if you have any queries about the personal information that LPVA holds about you or the way we handle that personal information. LPVA’s contact details for privacy queries are set out below.
LPVA Privacy Contact
Attention: Business Manager, Level 1, 66 Church Street, Traralgon Vic 3844 Phone: +61 3 5171 1000
Fax: +61 3 5171 1050
Please contact the LPVA privacy contact using the above details if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by LPVA.